Now mini dinner party nibbles and cutesy Lunchboxes Of The Week are all well and good. But sometimes you just want to sink your teeth into a great big juicy sandwich. Warning, bruschetta fans may want to look away. This one's strictly for real sandwich lovers.
A bit more than a nibble...
Ingredients (serves 2 very hungry adults)
2 ciabattas (the ones you finish baking in the oven yourself)
Southern Fried chicken pieces (or your choice of filler)
200 grams of cheddar cheese (or as much as you like, this is not the day for that diet)
Roast vegetables (try red pepper, courgettes, aubergine)
2 handfuls of lettuce
Aioli mayonnaise (recipe is here)
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius/400 degrees Fahrenheit/gas mark 6.
- Place ciabattas on a baking try and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove ciabattas, slice lengthways and add the cheese. Return to the oven until cheese is at dripping point perfection.
- Crack the eggs into the frying pan. You’re only kidding yourself trying to be healthy and poaching them.
- Add some aioli mayonnaise, or your preferred spread, to the ciabattas.
- Layer. Start with the lettuce, then the roast vegetables. Chicken pieces are next and sprinkle on the gherkins.
- Add the piece de résistance – the eggs.
- Slice and serve.
- Take a little nap.
The Ultimate Sandwich? You decide.
This can pretty much work with whatever you have in the fridge, think of it like a smorgasbord sandwich. You could also try (or add): avocado, ham, sweet potato, mushrooms, onion rings, rocket... I could keep going.
Seriously? OK, try a few oven chips. In for a cent, in for a euro! Or in for a penny in for a pound as we say across the water. Bon Appétit!